Facilities

WCC Info

Wetzel County Commission
200 Main Street
New Martinsville, WV 26155

Commissioner's Office:
304-455-8217

County Clerk's Office:
304-455-8224

Assessor's Office:
304-455-8216

Circuit Clerk:
304-455-8234

Sheriff's Office:
304-455-2430

Tax Office:
304-455-8218

Prosecuting Attorney:
304-455-0172

E-911, Emergency Management, Floodplain Management and 911 Addressing:
304-455-6960

War Memorial Building


Wetzel County has the only "living" war memorial erected in memory of this county's servicemen who gave their lives in the service of their country. The war memorial, located in New Martinsville, is one of two memorials approved by the act of the legislature. The other is located at Williamson.

Unlike the state sanctioned "monument" at Williamson, the monument erected by the citizens of Wetzel County is a spacious building that has served as a "living" reminder to the memory of the country's servicemen who have died in the defense of their country.

The Wetzel County War Memorial was proposed by the New Martinsville Kiwanis Club in June, 1927 and immediately the American Legion, Marne Post No 28,of New Martinsville took up the challenge, and on August 9, 1927 requested the Wetzel County Court "to assist in the erection of a memorial in memory of those who in the World War and other wars laid down their lives for their country." The American Legion presented petitions to the county court bearing names of hundreds of Wetzel County residents asking for the memorial. The request was granted and the court included in its estimate a levy of five cents on each $100 valuation of taxable property in the county. The levy raised approximately $18,000.

The American Legion had also asked the city of New Martinsville to lay a special levy for the memorial, but instead the city contributed $1,000 to the fund. The American Legion pledged $1,000 plus additional funds to be raised by popular subscription. The $1,000 pledged by the American Legion came from ex-servicemen from throughout the county. Other funds were contributed through the efforts of county, civic and fraternal groups. The Legion's final contribution was approximately $12,000.

The building has a room dedicated to World War I veterans who served  and to those who gave their life. Following World War II, a huge honor roll was placed in the ballroom noting those who served and died in World War II.